Thursday, July 29, 2010

Puerto Viejo

Last weekend we went to Puerto Viejo, which is located in the Carribean. This town was said to be totally different then any other part of Costa Rica, and it was indeed. It was a town of Ragae, a type and lifestyle of music. There were so many people I met here with the same story, goes a little like this: So I was traveling around Costa Rica and Puerto Viejo was the last stop on my list. I was only planning on staying here for the weekend but then I was convinced to forget about my flight home and stay. So now its been x amount of months and Im still here.



Not kidding, I think atleast six people I met had this story. I can see exactly why it happens. This place is such a laid back paradise. Small where everyone knows eachother and what is going on in the town, but not only that, its located right on water. Restaurants and Hotels sit on the water, and nothing is more then a five minute walk to beach. Its a pretty insane place.



Thursday night, me and my friend Brenna arrived into town. We were told to stay at this awesome hostel called Rockin Jays, little did I know what was in store for me. When we got there we had a choice of a tent to sleep in or a hammock, I chose the tent. I mean I love camping so I thought this would be fun. But as we started walking around the place we were both thinking wow this is dirty! It was also party central USA. So we stuck it out for a night but decided that for how far away it was from the center of town, and how dirty, loud, and not welcoming it was, we were going to leave. The next mornign we found a hotel for four whole dollars more, so we took it. It was great. We met so many people, had the cutest room, and the place was just an awesome environment.



That afternoon, we went kayaking and snorkling in the ocean. We had met a friend who lives at the hotel, (which we found out many people lived in the hotel) who worked at the local surf shop. So he got us some kayaks and gear and off we went. We snorkled in the reef that is just off shore of where we were. It was pretty neat. That night was really fun, we bought a bunch of vegetables and potatoes to cook for dinner. Little did we know it would turn into a potluck. Everyone was cooking in the kitchen and we all put our food together and feasted. Some had pastas, chickens, veggies, fish, anything really. It was so cool how everyone just kept handing people food and didnt care about getting paid or repaid in some way. It was awesome.



Saturday we met up with the rest of our group and rented bikes. We biked down to this animal refuge place and were able to hold monkeys and sloths. They were so cute! We took a tour of the refuge which was fun, but Im going to admit, im not a tour person. It was WAY to long. After about 20 minutes I was done. Haha, but I stuck it out. The reward for that was the beach. We went to this beach that was about a 30 minute bike ride from the middle of town. It was AMAZING. We brought a little picnic and swam and took a nice loonnngg nap to get some energy for that night, which was live ragae night!



At this restaurant called Tex Mex, we ate dinner and later on listened to the local band of Ragae. They played some Bob Marley songs along with some songs of thier own. We had obviously chosen the right place to eat because it seemed like the whole town had been there. I even saw two of the people I had met in my hostel in Manuel Antonio at this restuarant. Who would have thought? It was fun.



Sunday is always traveling days. Off we went back to San Joaquin (which by the way i found out i have been spelling wrong the whole time, embarrassing). When we got back, we were welcomed with a big thunder and lightnign storm. I myself dont have a umbrella so I walked home in the rain and by the time I got there, it was as if I had gone swimming. I actually enjoyed it but my backpack and papers suffered a little. But as Ticos say, Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment