Thursday, August 5, 2010

This and That

So I was thinking about my trip and realized that a lot goes on during my weeks that I dont really ever awknowledge. I write about all my trips, but never much about what I do during the week. So I thought I would try to recall some events.

About a week and a half ago was the Dia de San Jauquin, the day of my town. It was interesting because most days in this town there are not many people wondering the roads, but this day was different. People were everywhere. Especially that night, when my mama tica came in to ask me if I wanted to go see Fuegos Articiales, at first I had no idea what they were until she explained that they are what we see on fourth of July in the United States. So me, Ian, Laura and mama tica al went out to the town scare to see the fireworks. I didnt even know that many people lived in town! It was packed. The fireworks were pretty good, but not as good as Donner Lake fireworks. It was interesting to me because it didnt seem like they had any safety regulations. For example they were lighting them off in the middle of the scare and people were surrounding them on all sides, but not just that, they were smoking at the same time. It was very interesting. But I was happy my family invited me to do that.

Thursday of last week, I went up to my Abuela ticas house. She lives just up the street, in the house that my mama tica was born in. I soon learned that this is the only street my mama tica has ever lived. And not only that, but her brothers and sisters, three out of ten of them, all live on the block. The grandma, and two siblings have houses all on the same property. Its pretty neat. So when i was over there, they were making a costa rican food that is called Choredas. It is a corn tortilla thing but similar to the thickness of pancakes. So of course, the Costa Ricans love to feed people, so I had LOTS of them. they are very persistent people. Not only was my grandma there, but her friend who lives with her, the aunt and the cousin. So we sat and drank coffee (they think its weird i like mine black, Costa Ricans love lots of sugar in thier coffee) and ate lots of Choredas. They are delicious. Hopefully I will be able to go back over there soon and make some more foods.

So last night, I had some very good luck! After my spin class, I took a cab home with a girl in my program. I was dropped off first and then her. Turns out I left my wallet in the Taxi! It was terrible. I go into my house and realize this, but my Mama Tica wasnt home. But my papa tico was. So i had to interrupt his tv session to explain to him what had happened. And let me tell you, it is hard enough speaking spanish when im calm but panicking made it all bad. So my papa tico drove me back to the gym since they were the ones who had called the taxi for me. Luckily I have made friends who a guy who works there and he speaks perfect english. I ran up to him and explained what happened and he told me oh no worries, it happens a lot. Ill just call and get it for you. So he made about ten phones, being connected to different taxis and and finally got ahold of my taxi driver, and YES my wallet was in there. I was soo happy! So I told my papa he could go home since there was a big soccer game on and I waited with my new best friend for my wallet. LESSON OF THE STORY: costa ricans are the nicest people and most helpful people ever!

So I am more then halfway done with my program. Two more weeks of classes, its very hard to believe. The first two weeks were rough, and hard to get settled in, but now I cant believe I have to leave so soon. My spanish has improved but hopefully the next two weeks will get even better. I have been talking to my mama tica abotu her food here becuase it is amazing, but no one seems to have recipes. Everything is by taste, so i am working on learning how to make the delicious foods! Hopefully i can bring back some good skills!

NOTE: anything edible means it is okay to put lots of mayonaise on it according the the Costa Ricans. But if we were to ever try to make them put peanut butter on something it is not okay because it has to much fat, ironic right?

Tomorrow i am off to Monte Verde- the cloud forest! Hope all is well with everyone at home! See you all just a few weeks.

Pura Vida

2 comments:

  1. Emma,

    Love your stories! So glad you got your wallet back. Enjoy the next few weeks - they will go fast. We will be at your house Sat. night for Andy and Cassie's shower - will miss you , but cannot wait to see pictures and hear all the stories in person. Love, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stories Emma! The cat vs dog is so true! love, mom

    ReplyDelete