Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pueblo Fiestas

Two nights ago, on Tuesday the 10, was the Dia de San Lorenzo. San Lorenzo is a small town within San Jauquin about 5 minutes from where I live in Santa Marta. First let me explain that within San Jauquin there are smaller little towns they refer to as Pueblos. Each pueblo is named after a Saint, most towns and pueblos in this country are, and they are each given a day of celebration. So on Tuesday was a fiesta for San Lorenzo.

When I got home from school, my Mama Tica came into my room to tell me about the festivities of the night. She explained to me that San Lorenzo was one of the nicest pueblos in San Jauquin and there would be a celebration tonight. I assumed all it would be were fireworks, just like when it was the Dia de Santa Marta.

We left the house about 9 pm to go pick up my sister. Just a few side notes: 1. car seats here are not required. I sat in the back seat with my mama tica and baby ian sat inbetween us. 2. I dont think my mama tica drives because my papa tico drove us to pick up my sister then we dropped him off at home and my sister drove. 3. Driving in this country is SCARY.

Anyways, the party was help at the church in the small town. The are was packed. They had game booths, food stands, market, rides, and the coolest part was the dancing. They had this people who were dressed up in all sorts of crazy costumes and had a band going in a hall. Everyone danced and they also had homemade foods such as tamales, emanadas, tres leches, and more. Of corse, being a tica now, I had to try the foods! and they were delicious! i am never let down. But anyways, after the dancing there was a huge fireworks show. It was better then the one i saw fo Dia de Santa Marta. It was a really cool night.

If i had know exactly what i was going to i would have brought my camera! i am very upset that i did not bring it but i will have to explain in full detail to everyone so you all can picture it in your heads.

Tomorrow i head out for my last adventure: RAFTING! My friends Brenna, Erin and I are going to be doing an all day raft trip on the Pacaure River. I am very excited! Wish me luck! Hope to see you all soon, one week from today and i will be on US soil.

Pura Vida

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em...Dad here.

    The fiesta sounded like fun, a real costa rican cultural experience. sounds even better than the Walnut Festival!!
    Can't wait to see you in a week.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete